Author Topic: December 10 Monthly OKg Tournament: wrap-up discussion  (Read 8272 times)

TsuNaMi

December 10 Monthly OKg Tournament: wrap-up discussion
« on: December 11, 2006, 12:19:15 am »
Discuss your experience and how it could be improved.

Besides the fact that my teammates ditched me and i had to find 2 to fill in for them, the tournament was awesome. Nick had to leave early, so we forfeited and got 4th, but thats pretty decent for a throwtogether team. Next time me and nick are making sure our teammates are solid, and we already have a 3rd, we just need a 4th.

Thanks guys for making this tournament amazing, and i hope you all spread the word about okgamers.com and show up next time too.

I think we should have everyone who brought their stuff show up at 5. We should keep the 4v4 format and charge 5 at the door(for Funhouse) and 10 for the tournament. 5 of that 10 would go to X_A to help the okgamers cause and the other 5 would go into a prize pot for the winners. If we have 36 people show up again for halo 2 the pot would be 180 dollars. 100 to the winners(10 dollar profit), 60 to 2nd place(a refund basically), and 20 to 3rd place(1/3 of the money back). Or if we can get the word out to more gamers or get a sponsor, the prizes could get really huge.

So maybe not everyone can afford 15 dollars each just to play in a halo tournament? well if money is really a factor to some people in their eligibility to play, you could decide not to pay the extra 5 for the pot(you would still have to pay 10, 5 to FH and 5 to X_A), and if your team gets 1st, 2nd, or 3rd your team would not receive any money for their placement. This seems to be the best solution to broke halo players. 

Once again thanks guys, cant wait to play again next month.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:06:27 pm by X_A »

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
Re: December 10 Tournament discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:19:52 am »
I my self had fun @ the tourny, got to meet all the *talented* players, even tha trash talkers *cough* Pr1m0 *cough*  :D, in my opinion everyone did good, i really didnt have a team together so we did all right but not our best, but even though we lost im not going to complain becuase it was my fault for not having  a team yea kno, X_A was a kick a$$ guy, cant wait to smash him in soul caliber 3..lmao...as for the guys i meet n gave em my gamertags hope to kick it with yall real soon on XBL n pwn sum nubs .....guys, if any one wants to add me on XBL: Icychiller and Nasty Slurpy and for those who have a cell that want to call or txt me (n i kno X_A puttin my number on here isnt smart, but i think i can handle myself against a stalker...lol) but my number is 405-240-2154 ..friends call me Weaver... as for the ICBALLs, Nick, TsuNami, TJ, I Dont Hide, and even Gaym0..lol.. i had fun with you guys, id add the rest of yall but i forgot yalls names on there..any way guys have a good one and cant wait for the next one and maybe get to take on the *Great* Pr1m0 himself..lol..lata guys

sykotik

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:30:16 am »
Well first off, congrats to everyone (even though my team was tired and choked our last game).

The only thing I can think of is to make it earlier, I'm not sure but a lot of the teams there are still in school, and all of our team's parents were pretty mad about the time.

Possibly a bigger place, I know you can't do that until you're for sure that you'll have enough money from the gamers to back it, but it would definately be nice.

The last thing is BETTER ORGANIZATION!!! I know it's still early but... that was a mess. I mean we had some xBox and some 360, which isn't good for players constantly switching T.V.s. It also slows load times cause the 360 boots from the hard drive.

I liked the gametypes, although Sanctuary kinda disappeared from the MLG playlist. I'd keep it 4v4, although if there was a FFA or 2v2 the pots would be bigger because of the same amount of players but less people on a team. So if you had more than just 4v4 it moight increase the intrest and get more people to the site.

But all in all, it was fun, I would just rather not get home at 2 and have to be in school at 8...

Offline Pr1m0

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 02:38:46 pm »
we will get the "set up" fixed this time.. if you bring hardware we should get there at 5 like said.  We will figure out where everything is gonna go before hand and quickly set it all up. we need 16 tvs. 16 boxes.  powerstrips and extension cords... we lacked a few of each at this tournament.. ill try and bring more this time but i can only fit so much in a blazer:(

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:05:24 pm »
Hey Guys!  Went ahead and posted a "wrap up" post on the tournament thread, and of course moved it to the archives!

Anyway - thanks for everyone that came out, participated, and helped!  I think we definitely learned some more on what to do next time:

Format - January will not have a 4v4 teams option to vote for.  As I've said in person some, I want to let those that want FFA or 2v2 have a real chance to have it.  I've had some complaining / concerns brought up, simply because 4 players are alot to pull together.  SO - that's what we are looking at for next time.  Feb - after - we'll just see. 

Rules - more locked down.  I've talked to Sykotik in pm, but the gist was let's get the rules and stage info we ACTAULLY need to use ready; aka someone pls take the info that's up there in those 2 long posts, pair it down, and repost it so we can take it and make it official in some new clean thread.

Time - we have some time constraints, but with more organization, and a FULLY planned out hardware setup, I think things would run ALOT smoother, and we'd have less concerns about late into the night play.  [Yea guys, I didn't leave till 1am lol.]  This time we had constant hardware lagging on one of 2 setups, and that'll be erased from the next time, speaking of which...

Hardware - we've had alot of debate on the subject - one good idea?  I think?  That was told to me would be to 'bring your own tv/xbox or else you'll play on a split screen' - that seems fair if the standard quo for Halo players is to bring hardware anyway.  That's something I didn't realize starting out, so I aplogize for such slow acceptance of such ruling.  Anyway - so between that potential rule, and really having 16 setups already figured out: who's bringing what, and that we are FO SHO using it - and having everyone bringing hardware there by 5pm?  Yea.  I think that'll really help things, as we can have more time to fully test things out, set it up, and run the show quick and efficently.  Also, maybe plan in a few extra's worth, just in case we have another xbox 360 giving troubles / whatever, we can just quickly swap out for non-troubling hardware.

Space - we are starting to get big! I'm already talking to a pro on how to get sponsorships, which may prove to help with the fact this is grassroots and thus has no budget to rent out a hotel / room / yea.  For now, I say we stick with Funhouse, but if we start to outgrow that area, then I'm sure we'll be able to move to something more accomidating with some work / networking / finding out what we can do.

Entry fee vs prizes vs yea - I'm going to put the halo entry fee up to a vote this time around.  You guys can decide lol.  What are the 3 options I should have - 0 / 5 / 10?  Keep in mind, of course the 5$ location fee is not factored into this, so remember the total cost will be 5$ location fee, plus whatever is voted in.

I want you guys to have a good time - and get paid for doing a great job!  However, I won't scare people off with huge fee's - this should be accessable to anyone that wants to play, for a basic modest fee I figure.  Just so long as we balance these things, I won't have a problem.  Gas costs, people will pay to play, but I don't want to under or over charge, let's just make sure we think on this.  SO - what should the voting options be?

--

TsuNaMi  - I appreciate the thought, but let's not start giving ol' X A too much money lool.  Honestly, the humble 1$ from the entry fee serves for flyers pretty good.  I mean, I'll be able to get 2 times the flyers I got last time, and that means alot.  When it comes to 'taking peoples money' - I'm very iffy.  I don't like the idea of heavily charging for "OKgamer needs" - ya know?  Part of it - is that people ALREADY see a good thing, and think it's a scam - that we are trying to make money off people, which we do not.  Thus, my first concern being woooah, too much!  Second, what could we put the money towards?  I mean true, we could use it to pay off the people that bring hardware - but I see just a discount as being a real benefit.  Also - with people like Icychiller that don't even want to pay less for letting us use their hardware?  We might eventually have just 16 setups that don't cost much at all to the pot - so meh.

Perhaps - I'm being short sighted.  Not sure.  I don't want to get into buying hardware as one guy suggested last night lol.  However - perhaps renting?  Or - maybe putting $$ towards the next venue upgrade needed / prizes that are OKgamer related, like hats / shirts / yea.  Not sure.  The board meeting is on the 19th, I'll let them decide if the idea of any money collected like that would be a good idea.

--

I really enjoyed seeing so many new faces, and the old ones even more so!  I'm hoping we can keep you guys happy - cause the more happy you are, the more you'll spread the word about the site.  REMEMBER - ITS ALL ABOUT THE SITE!  Not the fact the site is throwing tournaments, but why: to get the word out about OKgamers.com, so it gets used and have value as what it is sposed to be.  We'll have a board meeting, we'll get people signed up to help do this stuff for a year.  If after 2007 raps up, people aren't using it as a source to come looking for tournaments and events in Oklahoma, and people aren't posting these things up - then it may all just have been for nothing.  There aren't enough non-lazy gamers, it's a lost cause.  But - if people use it, and it's making a difference, it'll be up as long as I can have a host for it, which will probably be a long time.

Spread the word:  Check out OKgamers.com to find or post events and tournaments for gamers around Oklahoma.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
Re: December 10 Monthly OKg Tournament: wrap-up discussion
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:16 pm »

Heh - sorry btw, I edited your title for this thread to make it a bit more clear - so people wandering through the site would know what is going on / what this is / eliminate potential confusion!@#

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Nick

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:57 pm »
I had a good time meet new people Cough Iceballs,IcyChiller, X_A, Pinkie. I thougth it could start early. I really did not like finding our 3rd and Fouth by random I am not calling bad but it was just new to them. I will be there at 5 next time to bring my xbox and Xbox Link.  I hope to see every there next time so it could be diffucult. BUt why can it not be on a saturday?

Nick

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 03:49:41 pm »
micheal i heard the tournment ended at 1 in the mouring but i am sorry for leaving

Offline ICBALLS

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Stoned As We Play
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:37:58 pm »
yeah i still think me and my team could have got 2 but they all had to leave

TsuNaMi

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 05:17:29 pm »
haha, definately icballs.

and X_A i just figured that the site may cost a little bit more or something, but if 1$ is all you need then the price could be 5$ to play games and 5$ to funhouse. thatd be cool for everyone i bet.

Nick

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:46:58 pm »
yea i can pay more it is my dad's MOney  :o but when i get my job in a couble of days i have to use my Money :(

i dont hide

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:04:42 pm »
I loved the atmosphere.  It was great.  My only concern is the same as everyone elses... I have to drive 2 hours to get there.  Then two hours back, then school.  I don't mind paying at all.  However much you need, I have it.  I'll donate to you if it will help.  My whole deal is... It's a place where I can play for real.  There is no cheating.  I don't have to bridge someone host to stop from being cheated.  The place is nice.  You can take a break and go play pool if you get frustrated.  The company is amazing.  No one got into a serious conflict and that is a major PLUS.  4v4 is iffy, as you say.  It is really hard tof ind 3 dependable people to show and everything.  I'm glad I was with Icy and Fatboi because I'd have been lost without them.  We did get stuck with a horrendous 4th (he went 1-14 and 3-16 first round).  All in all it was great.  I'll be there again for sure, with hardware again too.

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »
yea all n all it was a fun time,..as hardware goes X_A.. ebay is the way to go for cheap and easy stuff  bro..and i kno your self wouldntw ant to say buy it all..well if everyone who play participated in chipping in some money maybe for stuff,..we could get a bang load of stuff for cheap

Hub - 24.95
wires -2.99 -4.99 upon size

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 03:20:58 pm »
yea all n all it was a fun time,..as hardware goes X_A.. ebay is the way to go for cheap and easy stuff  bro..and i kno your self wouldntw ant to say buy it all..well if everyone who play participated in chipping in some money maybe for stuff,..we could get a bang load of stuff for cheap

Hub - 24.95
wires -2.99 -4.99 upon size

I guess - we could look into making a 'optional donation' thing where you could chip in a few bucks and we could get the power strips / anything else we'd need to get...  An idea to bring up at the board meeting under tournament improvements ;)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

MaGnO

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 03:51:27 pm »
my dad is the manager of Compusa. So if you guys need anything like that you could ask me.